The official Dubai Fashion Week, which kicked off in March 2023 with an intimate event attended by dignitaries, government officials, fashion and cultural media, has become the region’s defining fashion event.
Dubai Fashion Week (DFW) witnessed the highest popularity amongst all the fashion shows in Dubai and with all runway shows and events saw a full house each night, with buyers and designers from the major global fashion capitals out in full force.
This global event is supported by Dubai Design District (d3), a member of TECOM Group PJSC, and the Arab Fashion Council, the most popular in many years.
Born out from the successful Arab Fashion Week, Dubai Fashion Week is Dubai’s new fashion staple and part of Dubai’s drive to become the fifth fashion capital after Paris, New York, London and Milan. Part of the international fashion week calendar, the event spanned six days and debuted the city’s and region’s most dynamic catwalks and programs to date. The fashion calendar featured more than 45 shows, presentations and events. About 28 designers from more than 10 countries had presented their Autumn/Winter 2023 collections and women’s haute couture collections. Dubai Fashion Week is firmly & deeply entrenched in the global fashion capital.
“Dubai Fashion Week was a spectacular way to debut Dubai as the fifth global fashion capital,” said Khadija Al Bastaki, Senior Vice President of Dubai Design District (d3), part of TECOM Group. “Designers demonstrated the highest calibre of creativity and craftsmanship throughout the week. As a global creative platform, we at d3 are thrilled to see Dubai help shape the global creative dialogue. Not only did DFW provide regional and international talent a gateway to new partnerships, markets, and opportunities, but it also answered a global call for inclusivity and diversity in the fashion world. This was possible thanks to Dubai’s multicultural melting pot and commitment to nurturing the creative economy.”
Stand out moments from the inaugural edition included:
- Amato Retrospective’s iconic designs in celebration of 25 years of Amato Couture opened the show on the first night
- Dubai Fashion Week’s penultimate day featured the collections of DFW members part of the designers’ committee, Dima Ayad, Lama Jouni, and Mrs Keepa
- Lili Blanc showcased collections straight off the Paris Fashion Week runways, as part of AFC’s partnership with La Fédération de la Haute Couture et de la Mode
- Dubai-based label, Anomalous unveiled the global collaboration with Hot Wheels; the #1 selling toy in the world with over 8 billion Vehicles sold
- The shows saw a strong buyers’ presence with representatives from Asia, Europe, the Americas and the Arab world in attendance. d3 and the Arab Fashion Council presented the first-ever Buyers Talk, which brought together a prestigious panel of buyers from the UAE and Europe to shed light on the elements of a successful working partnership between the designer and the buyer, from commercial viability to planning schedules.
- The panellists included: Milan-based Dani Stenin from Antonioli, Paris-based Raphael Deray from Printemps, Caterina Ercoli from Level Shoes, Georgina Gainza from Al Tayer Group (which includes Harvey Nichols and Bloomingdales), and Martina Solino from Tryano & Saks.
- Following the panel, a Designers Lookbook Review was held, giving the designers the opportunity to engage directly with buyers and showcase highlights from their collections.
Jacob Abrian, Chief Executive Officer of the Arab Fashion Council, said: “The new Dubai Fashion Week is off to a great start. We have already surpassed the momentum gained during Arab Fashion Week, if the packed shows and positive response from talent, buyers and audiences alike are anything to go by. We are already working with d3 to ensure that the next edition raises the bar further and establishing Dubai as a core contributor to the global fashion dialogue.”
The Dubai Fashion Week Steering Committee has been announced, along with a new Buyers Committee and a permanent Designers Committee, all functioning under the oversight of the Arab Fashion Council. to ensure its ambitious vision is realized and play a role in guiding the future of the event in a dynamic and sustainable way.